Sunday, August 21, 2011

Good, Better, Best

One of the things that keeps coming to me is the importance for me personally to write.  I have always known that I need to write of my thoughts, feelings, and day to day life.  I know that my children will be blessed because of it and yet I struggle to do it on a regular basis.  I started this blog with the hope that putting my writing out in a public arena would be motivation and that worked for a while but I struggle to know at times what to write about. 

So here I go again with a slightly new format.   Each day of the week will have a different assignment. On Sunday my task will be to write about something to think about and ponder on.  More info on what each day will be coming soon.

So here goes my first something to think about post -

I am always trying to decide what to do with my time.  It is not that I have too much free time ­– quite the opposite.  I worry about if what I am spending my time on is the best use of my time.  Some things are easy to figure out like should I really be wasting away time browsing the internet – no or should I play with my children – yes.

I often think about a talk by Dallin H. Oaks entitled Good, Better, Best.  It causes me to reflect on what might be a good use of my time versus what would be better or even the best use of my time.  

“We should begin by recognizing the reality that just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives.”
Dallin H. Oaks

Time is such a limited resource as a parent that I need to try my best to make the most of it.  I need to be finding/making more time to spend engaging my children - Not just being in the same room with them while they watch TV and I read a book.  I know that I have a limited amount of time to be with them while they are young and I need to make better use of that time.  In this talk Elder Oaks quotes President Gordon B. Hinckley as pleading that we “work at our responsibility as parents as if everything in life counted on it, because in fact everything in life does count on it.”

My jumbo sized white board in the kitchen this week will have
GOOD, BETTER, BEST ? 
written across the top to help me to remember to think about this all week long.


________________


If you haven't voted yet please do.




This skirt made it into the top 15 designs for the 

You can go here to vote - PLEASE :)
Mine is #14


No comments:

Post a Comment